Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
June 19, 2019
The Last Time We Met
Wednesday saw former Rotarian Joanne Rego as our guest speaker. Her Rotary claim to fame? Bringing Carole and Tom into the club. (Insert your own joke here). Joanne is retiring this month from the Southcoast Chamber as their Supported Employment Network Coordinator. She spoke of the programs she did through that office, getting companies to hire individuals with disabilities. She worked through local agencies and businesses to find jobs with the perfect fit. She also started dances so people in day programs can meet other people. We salute Joanne for a career of making New Bedford a better place.
Missed the last GAM? You can check it (or any past issue) out at http://newbedfordma.clubwizard.com/NewsletterArchive.cfm
The Next Time We Meet
June 26th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Our guest speaker will be Lawrence Sylvia of NB Wheelchair Success.
UPCOMING EVENTS: What would you like to see at a Rotary meeting? Let us know.
July ??th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm at Fire Systems, Inc. All invited.
July 4th – Happy Independence Day
July 10th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
July 17th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
July 24th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
July 31st – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Program TBA
August 6th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm at Fire Systems, Inc. All invited.
August 7th – TENATIVE SCHOLARSHIP LUNCHEON. Lunch at the Wamsutta. Please RSVP to Rich M. by July 28th.
Odds and Ends
NEW PROSPECTIVE MEMBER
Sandy Quadros Bowles, Social Media Marketing Manager, has completed an application to join our club. The board will review it at the next meeting.
HOW DO I DO A MAKEUP?
Some folks have asked how to improve their attendance if they miss the Wednesday meeting. Here is a list. (Generally makeups “expire” after a month)
1. Check out other local club meetings. Dartmouth has night meetings on Thursdays(I think). Fall River does lunch on Thursday at White’s of Westport. Not sure what Fairhaven is doing these days. Most can be contacted through their Facebook pages or websites.
2. You can do make ups online https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/howtodoamakeup/. When you get to this page https://www.rotaryeclubone.org/makeups/articles/ click on date of one that interests you and follow the instructions.
3. You can stop into our own club’s monthly board meetings. (Generally the first Tuesday at 5 at FSI in Dartmouth. Address in the GAM)
4. Participate on the club’s committees.
5. Assist with RotaFest or Breakfast with Santa or other events (Sell tickets, find auction items, etc.)
6. District events are an option as well. (See the GAM for those as well)
7. Traveling? Visit a club meeting in the town wherever you are. Club meetings are even held on cruise ships and at Walt Disney World. We may even have a banner for you to exchange.
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information as some events the club will sponsor members to attend)
- RLI Seminar - Dist 7930, October 5th 2019, Wakefield, MA https://rlinea.org/ The Rotary Leadership Institute (RLI) is a multi-district, grassroots leadership development program.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they like on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
A professional golfer in his advice to beginners says that lifting the elbow is the cause of erratic drives and wild swings. This is particularly true when the elbow lifting starts in the clubhouse.