Rotary Club of New Bedford, MA - Weekly GAM
GAM...A nautical term describing the exchange of news between vessels departing from and returning to their ports...
January 10, 20187
This Week (Last Week)
Rotary lunch returned to the Wamsutta with the Annual Yankee Swap. All in attendance remembered to bring a gift, though some Rotarians need to be reminded of the rules. Not too much swapping but fun was had by all.
A Rotarian visitor from the Plymouth Club, Andrew Carter was able to participate due to a quick thinking leadership team. He also offered us a chance to get the word out about our RotaFest as well as purchasing two tickets for the event. He plans to use the gift he received at the Yankee Swap as a part of his club’s Annual Fundraising Auction. He asked if we would be willing to donate two tickets for RotaFest to the auction, which they were promoting on via social and other media.
Rotary Minute. Tune in next time for this continuing saga…
PRESIDENT’S VALENTINE’S ALUMNI MEMBERSHIP CHALLENGE: Only 5 weeks left to complete the second challenge and get that special something for that special someone…
VISITORS AND GUESTS: Andrew Carter, Visiting Rotarian, Plymouth Rotary Club.
Next Week (this week really)
January 16th – Monthly Board Meeting. 5:00 pm. Location: Fire Safety Inc., 955 Reed Rd, N. Dartmouth. MA. All are invited.
January 17th – Lunch at the Wamsutta. Club assembly.
January 24th – Program TBD.
January 31st – Evening Social. Save the date
April 26th – SAVE THE DATE – RotaFest 2018
Odds and Ends
SAVE THE DATE – APRIL 26, 2018 – Same time and place as last year. Chair Carole wants you to “SELL TICKETS”. This is our biggest fundraiser and we need everyone’s help. Start approaching restaurants to come and serve food. Think about businesses to be sponsors or give auction items. Who will you be inviting to (aka selling ticket to…) this amazing event? Any questions about the event, ask RotaFest Chair Carole.
ANNUAL BASKETBALL GAME FUNDRAISER
Rotarian Joe A. shared information about a fundraiser for his parent’s scholarships (Joao & Elce Andrade Memorial Scholarhip Fund). It will be Saturday, January 27th, 2-4 pm, in the NBHS gym. Donations are only $10 with kids under 12 free. See Joe A. for details.
YOU AND ROTARY WEBSITES
There are two Rotary websites that you have a profile on.
1. The first is our club website www.newbedfordrotary.com. Sign in using the “For members…” in the blue column on the left. You can add a photo of yourself, a website for you or your company and other information that visitors to the website can see. If you don’t know how to log in, the pres/webmaster can resend your invite email.
2. Second, the Rotary International site of My Rotary https://my.rotary.org . This is the information the national organization has about you. No pictures needed for this profile, but it will connect you with everything Rotary International has to offer. Go to the site and create an account. It will ask for your membership number which will be on your monthly copy of “The Rotarian”.
Unfortunately the treasurer was unable to attend the last meeting to hand out invoices. Please let us know if you need one to generate payment. Dues are $65 and cover you for 6 months. Please contact Lisa for payment information. Thank you for those that have already paid.
NEW BEDFORD ROTARY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Don’t forget to Like, Follow and whatever else folks do with pages they enjoy on Facebook. Check us out at www.facebook.com/Rotary-Club-of-New-Bedford-157486620934253/
DISTRICT AND RI REMINDERS (if you are interested in attending any of these, please ask a board member for more information)
- MID-YEAR/PRE-PETS MEETING, White’s of Westport, February, 10, 2018
- ROTARY LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE, Amica Insurance, Lincoln, RI, March 31, 2018 www.rlinea.org
- MULTI-DISTRICT CONFERENCE, 1620 Hotel, Plymouth, MA, May 18-20, 2018
- ROTARY INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION, Toronto, Canada, June 23-27, 2018 www.riconvention.org/en
One More Thing – An Orren Classic
A man who disliked work was stretched out under the protecting shade of a tree when his wife went out and awakened him. "Loafing, loafing, continually loafing!" she said. "Well", he replied, "it beats doing nothing, don't it?"